Everything You Want to Know About Pinterest & More
What is Pinterest? It’s the hottest & fastest growing independent website in the history of the internet!
Kelly explains what #Pinning is all about and how it can help your business. Show notes coming soon!
Here are some links we mention in this episode:
Outline from podcast:
What is Pinterest, and How Does it Work?
Pinterest allows users to visually share, curate, and discover new interests by ‘pinning’ images or videos to their boards and then sharing this content with others.
Who is using Pinterest?
- 10.4 million registered users up from only 1.4 million users in August 2011.
- 9 million of the users are Facebook connected users
- In January the average visitor spent 98 minutes on the site, up from 38 minutes in July.
- 97% of the users from Facebook are women
- 80 percent had a bachelor’s degree or higher
- 10 million U.S monthly unique visitors faster than any other independent site in history.
- Pinterest generates more referral traffic to websites than YouTube, Google+ and LinkedIn COMBINED according to a recent report from Cambridge, Mass.-based content-sharing site Shareaholic.
Are businesses using pinterest?
- In the last six months, the retail deal site ideeli.com has seen a 446 percent increase in web traffic from Pinterest and sales resulting from those visits have increased five-fold. so I guess businesses are starting to see ROI results from Pinterest.
- The military is using Pinterest to target women
- UK vs. US uses for Pinterest
- Mashable’s top ten brands on Facebook.
What are some ways that businesses can use Pinterest?
- Feature Your Visual Content from your blog or website: This of course means you need some original and righteous imagery on your website to spark interest of the eye.
- Collaborative boards: Have at least one board that anyone can pin to. For example if you are a recipe blog you might have guest pin their original or favorite recipes. Sharing boards is a great way to gain new active followers.
- Have a contest: photo contest are a great way to get some action going. Open the board up to guest pins and have people compete for the best picture. Example: if you are a pet store you might do the cutest pet contest.
- Add a pin-it button to your blogs, shopping pages and the like. Encourage people to share your content on Pinterest.
- Create a video gallery: That’s right you can pin youtube video so share those videos!
- Share offline events: you can share photos and videos from events. Encourage the attendees to post their own photos and videos too! You can even download the interest iPhone app and take then post photos right from your phone!
- Have a team, introduce them. Share headshot photos of your team with bios in the description section. Link the photos to each persons profile on your website or on LinkedIn.
How do you sign up for pinterest?
If you need an invite feel free to request one on our comments section for this podcast with your email address. Be sure it is the same email you want to use for your Pinterest Account and we will get you an invite.
- Be sure you take images from the original source
- Protect your original photos with watermarks
- Don’t spam – they will kick you off “Avoid Self Promotion | Pinterest is designed to curate and share things you love. If there is a photo or project you’re proud of, pin away! However, try not to use Pinterest purely as a tool for self-promotion.”
Social Media Tip of the Week: Don’t forget to add a Pinterest plugin (like the Pinterest “Pin It” Button for WordPress users) to make it easy for your readers to share your content on their Pinterest boards. Also be sure you have fantastic and original imagery and video on your website and blog. You may also consider adding a watermark with your logo in the corner of all original content.
- How to increase your readership/traffic
- how to find great guest bloggers
- how to find good content
- and other blog topics
Kelly Upcoming Events & Announcements
- March 7th – Social Media for Business Workshop- Louisville
- March 15th I am speaking on a panel of experts for the Sales Association of Colorado. Guest of mine get the member rate to attend so be sure to check my class calendar for details on that at socialmediaclassescolorado.com you can also find me on twitter at @stellar247.
Paul Upcoming Events & Announcements
- Business All Star 10 day free marketing course via email. Sign up at www.businessallstar.com
We want to once again thank you for listening and sharing this podcast. be sure to subscribe/rate us 5 stars in iTunes & join the conversation by commenting on the site.
Also I (Kelly) promised to post a picture of my bulletin board in my office so you can compare to my boards on Pinterest. I did take a couple of items off my board due to privacy issues so it is usually far more cluttered than this.