According to a December 2010 report conducted by Edison Research:
316 million cumulative iOS units sold
67% of podcast listeners don’t mind sponsorship messages and occasionally find them useful, compared to only 6% positive sentiment expressed for the advertising approaches of television or commercial radio.
- The percentage of Americans who have ever watched or listened to a podcast is 45%, up from 43% one year ago. This equates to approximately 70 million Americans 12+.
- Nearly 80% of podcast consumers (responding to the survey), agreed that “when price and quality is equal,” they “prefer to buy products from companies that advertise on or sponsor” the podcasts they regularly enjoy.
- Ninety percent of these respondents indicated that they had taken some kind of action as a result of podcast advertising or sponsorship, and over 40% reported purchasing behaviors, which indicates that they are receptive to the right message, in the right context.
- The podcast audience has migrated from being predominantly “early adopters” to more closely resembling mainstream media consumers.
- Podcast consumers continue to prefer consuming content at their desktop, not on dedicated media players, but mobile phone media consumption is surging.
- Podcast consumers index very highly for social networking behaviors.
- Two-thirds of podcast consumers have listened to digital audio files in their vehicles by connecting an iPod or other MP3 player to their car audio system.
Find a Niche- Fill a void
- Choose a topic you are both knowledgable and passionate about.
Listen to the most popular podcasts & see what you like about them
Find a co-host or interesting people to interview (1 voice can be polarizing)
- Consider a partner/ co-host – two voices are better than on
Outline a few topics to discuss for your first few episodes
- Plan on show topics. Create a calendar or a list of topics you can discuss on each show.
- Decide how offten you want to post and be consistant so people will learn to expect your post on a certian day.
Recording Equipment- What we use
Audio Hijack Pro
Adobe Audition- (Audacity as a free option)
Make it a small file
Cover Image- compelling, colorful, interesting. Look at the most popular podcasts to see what they do. cover art: A 300×300-pixel JPG is the recommended size and format.
Hosting a podcast
WordPress w/ Podpress Plugin (for stats & RSS)
Submit it to iTunes
Share, encourage reviews, share
- Build a community around your podcast with your audience
- Encourage participation from your audience
- Have fun!